pulled pork sliders {slow cooker version}

 

I had my first taste of pulled pork at Jim 'N Nick's when I was in  Birmingham, Al. Remember when I participated in Cooking Light's Ultimate Reader Recipe Cook-Off?  Well, it was pretty awesome down home comfort food. Even better because I was pregnant at the time I didn't care how many calories were in the pulled pork, BBQ ribs, biscuits, cornbread, chocolate cream pie and coconut cream pie that the baby really needed all in one sitting. I loved visiting the South for the first time and look forward to going back some day. Can't you just picture sitting on the porch of an old plantation sipping a mint julep on a warm summer day? I

This photo is of Oak Alley, which Slim Paley says you simply can't miss if you're in the area. It's 45 minutes from New Orleans. I am SO happy to hear this, as Yummy Hubby has a conference in New Orleans next year. I think it's going to have to be a family trip.
Photo by Slim Paley


This recipe may not be traditional Southern pulled pork, but it's my easy, delicious, and healthier take on the sandwich. The traditional recipe calls for pork butt (that kinda makes you giggle, right?), but I have substituted pork tenderloin to cut down on the fat.

Pulled Pork
1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin
1 bottle favorite BBQ sauce
1 onion, quartered 
1 bottle beer
8 hamburger buns, or more mini buns, split and lightly toasted 
coleslaw (recipe below) *I used broccoli slaw in addition to the cabbage

Combine first four ingredients in a slow cooker set on low heat. Cook 6-7 hours. Shred meat with two forks. Top buns with pulled pork and coleslaw.

Another more traditional pulled pork sandwich recipe, also made in the slow cooker, can be found on my friend The Southern Belle in Santa Barbara's blog.

Jim 'N Nick's Coleslaw 

8 to 10 servings

Recipe by Jim 'N Nick's Bar-B-Q, Charleston, South Carolina
via Bon Appetit August 2010

1 2-pound head of green cabbage, quartered, cored, cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices (about 14 cups)
1 1/4 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 cup grated peeled carrots
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
 
Place cabbage in large bowl. Add vinegar and sugar; toss to coat. Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Toss cabbage mixture well; cover and let stand 30 minutes longer. Drain cabbage. DO AHEAD Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and chill.

Transfer drained cabbage to another large bowl. Add carrots, green onions, and mayonnaise; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Cheers to the South! Photo from myrecipes.com

Description: pulled pork sliders {slow cooker version}
Rating: 4.5
Reviewed by: Imam Baihaqi
On: 8:30 AM
TOP